The Silent Work of Friendship

 The Silent Work of Friendship 

Lovina Ita


Crushed. Pained. Heartbroken. That was how I felt when I realised the person I once called a friend was never really there for me. Maybe I should have noticed the signs earlier,the friendship was one-sided. When I had something to give, the bond seemed alive; but the moment I had nothing, it withered away. At my lowest, broke, hungry, weak, I thought of her. “At least she’ll help me,” I whispered to myself. But she didn’t. Did I die? No. Did I hate her? Not even then. I was bitter, yes, but in that same moment I also discovered something else: the quiet power of true friendship.

Because someone else showed up. A friend who didn’t ask for anything in return. A friend who reminded me that real friendship doesn’t shout, it whispers. It’s not always in the grand gestures but in the simple acts; the plate of food, the listening ear, the call that interrupts your spiral of overthinking. And that’s when it hit me: friendship does its deepest work silently, shaping not just our days but our very mental health.

Of course, there are real friendships and their beauty often hides in plain sight. It’s in those little, almost invisible actions that don’t always make it to Instagram but stay with you for years. Think about the friend who quietly sends you their lecture notes when you missed class, without making you feel guilty for not showing up. Or the one who knows you too well and sends a random “Have you eaten?” text just when your stomach is grumbling. Sometimes, it’s not even words. It’s the silent hug after you’ve been crying, the shared laughter over an inside joke no one else understands, or just sitting together in complete silence yet somehow feeling lighter because they’re there.

Friendship works its magic in these small ways. They may not look extraordinary, but they can change the rhythm of your day. A five-minute conversation that snaps you out of overthinking. A wink across the classroom that makes you laugh even when you’re being scolded. A shared plate of food that tastes better simply because you didn’t eat it alone. These are not grand, dramatic gestures; they’re gentle reminders that you are not walking through life by yourself. And that, sometimes, is all you need to breathe easier.

 True friendship is therapy we don’t always recognize and even the American Psychological Association highlights just how powerful friendships can be for our health. In their feature “The Science of Why Friendships Keep Us Healthy,” the APA explains that “people with close friends are more satisfied with their lives and less likely to suffer from depression and less likely to die from all causes” . Imagine that. Just imagine you got caught for making a noise while the lecturer is teaching and he/she called you out, you're getting scolded for your actions and just a wink from your friend could make you double with laughter and even get the both of you punished. Which makes the punishment interesting either way.

But let’s be honest, friendship doesn’t glide smoothly like a fairytale. It’s not all laughter, hugs, and inside jokes. Sometimes you fight, sometimes you disagree, and often over the smallest things. It could be as petty as who forgot to return a borrowed book, or who kept you waiting too long at the cafeteria. Yet in those heated, awkward moments, you discover something deeper: just how different you both are. And that’s not always a bad thing. It’s in the disagreements that you learn patience, forgiveness, and the delicate art of accommodating someone else’s flaws while hoping they’ll do the same for you.

One of my closest friends and I once had a long, cold silence over something trivial. For days, I was stubborn, waiting for her to break the silence, and she was just as stubborn, waiting for me. When we finally talked, I realised it wasn’t about who texted first, but about the need to feel seen, to feel like our friendship mattered to each other. That moment taught me more about communication than any motivational quote could.

That’s the thing: friendship needs tending, just like a plant. You water it with steady, small acts of care checking in when there’s no crisis, saying sorry even when your pride is loud, showing up when it would be easier to stay away. Ghosting, neglect, or taking each other for granted slowly dries the bond out. But consistent presence, even in the tiniest doses keeps it alive. A plant doesn’t thrive from one big watering session; it grows from regular drops of water. And friendship is no different.

Looking back, I don’t regret losing that friend. She taught me the difference between empty companionship and real bonds. Painful as it was, it cleared space for me to see the people who truly cared , the ones who showed up in silence, without needing an applause. And now, I know the silent work of true friendship is what keeps me going, even on the hardest days.

Maybe it’s time we stopped measuring friendship by the loud gestures or the number of pictures we take together, and start noticing the quiet things: the text that comes at the right time, the meal shared without being asked, the unspoken understanding in someone’s eyes. Because in the end, those are the moments that shapes us, heal us, and remind us that we are not alone.

So maybe today, instead of waiting for a perfect moment, just reach out to that one person who crosses your mind. Not with fanfare, not with a long speech but with something simple. A text. A call. A smile. Because the quiet things are what last, and they might just be the lifeline someone needs right now.

Comments

  1. 'Saying sorry when your pride is loud, showing up when it would be easier to stay away'...this hits!

    Thank you for reminding us about what friendship really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone was on my mind as I read through this piece
    That's my best friend 💜
    I know you might not see this
    But thank God for you
    It's amazing knowing you Abraham

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First and Best But Why Are We Still Cooking Like It Is 1985?

The Japa Dream: Between Escape and Reality